Thursday, February 12, 2015

Only Because...

I met a girl today who lost her family tragically left with only memories of her mother, brother, and sister. At the ripe age of thirteen she spoke to me with confidence and strength. I looked for signs of depression or false security but she reassured me that everything was going to work out in the end and that everything happens for a reason. I didn't see any signs of tears even though it had only been six days since she lost her family and well she reminded me that God was with her as she could feel His presence by the excitement she felt within.

How about us?  Do we feel the presence of God even in our darkest hour? While I have never had to endure the type of loss or pain this little girl felt or experienced, her strength encouraged me and reminded me of the awesome power of God. Through her little light I saw the mighty hand of God upholding her and reassuring her that indeed everything was going to be alright!

2 Corinthians 12:9 put it like this, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness... (ESV)" When we consider some of life's most challenging moments we often come to the realization that it was nothing short of the power of God that took us through those times of utter weakness. I call these the "only because" moments. Only because God held me, only because God kept my sanity, only because God inspired me, reassured me, provided for me, healed me, etc.

When we have these "only because" moments we will continually live under the power of God's grace. Why? Because we recognize we would never have survived but for His all encompassing love and grace. I'm sure this little girl will have many dark days ahead but I am certain that she will not have these days alone as God is certainly with her.

Today make sure God is the center of your source and strength. And next time you open your eyes know that it is only because God gave you another opportunity to see the light and to get it right! 

No comments: